The Jakarta History Museum, Fatahillah Museum
The Jakarta History Museum (also known as Fatahillah Museum) is housed in the former City Hall based in the old part of the city today known as Jakarta Kota, few hundred meters behind the port and warehouses of Sunda Kelapa. Originally known as the Stadhuis, this construction was the administrative headquarters of the Dutch Eastern India Company, and later of the Dutch Government.
Built-in 1710 by Governor General van Riebeeck, this solid construction hides below it notorious dungeons and filthy water prisons. Today, this museum displays the history of Jakarta from prehistoric days to the founding of the town of Jayakarta. The collection has a replica of the Tugu Inscription that dates back to the 5th century under the reign of the great King Purnawarman, signs that center of the Tarumanegara kingdom was located around the present-day seaport of Tanjung Priok. His collection reflects the influences of various ethnic elements on the Town of Batavia, namely from Europe, mainly from the Netherlands, from China and India as well as by Indonesia itself.
To bring more life and actions to the Old Batavia sq, today the Jakarta Government has arranged regular attractions involving local communities and their cultures. On Sundays, shows are performed presenting the Zapin dance, a combination of Betawi and Middle East influences, the Barongsai Chinese lion dance, the Portuguese affected keroncong music, the traditional Betawi Tanjidor music, batik fashion shows, vintage vehicles parades, food and memorabilia and fireworks.
The address of the Museum is:
Jakarta History Museum
Jalan Taman Fatahillah No 1 West Jakarta
Phone: (62 21) 692-9101/690-1483
Fax. (62 21) 690-2387
To arrive there, you may utilize the TransJakarta bus going to Kota out of Blok-M (Corridor 1). Stop at the last terminal, Kota. It is going to be a number of blocks off to the museum.